The book of Esther (along with Ruth) are the only books of the Bible that are named after women. Both Esther and Ruth were called virtuous women in the Scriptures. Their lives are an example for us to follow.
Esther's hebrew name is Hadassah. Both of these names mean star. Some of the values lauded in the book of Esther are: Submission, Inner Beauty, Uprightness, Sovereignty (of God), and God's Providence. Even the word "God" is not found even once in the entire book (this is the only part of the Bible where that is the case), His hand is seen throughout the book.
When I was reading Esther this last time, I came upon this verse, "...for she continued to follow Mordecai's instructions as she had done when he was bringing her up." This passage reminds me that I am to be faithful in following my father's instructions and wishes for me wherever I am, whatever I am doing. I am to be submissive and am to be under his authority until I get married.
The story of Esther is a beautiful story of a young woman, who pleases the Lord, and is used greatly to save her people from destruction by a corrupt man in the government (Haman). The Lord uses those who are willing to follow His ways. Seeing God's plan unfold before you is a beautiful picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here: