August 29, 2014

Joni and Friends Family Retreat 2014 ~ Part 2

This past week I saw God work in such amazing ways!! I just returned home from my 3rd year of serving at the Joni and Friends Family Retreat in MN. God opened up so many doors and so many opportunities for service. www.joniandfriends.org

This year Joni Eareckson Tada attended the MN camp along with her husband, Ken Tada. I was so excited to be able to meet Joni! 

Every morning the STMs (Short Term Missionary, volunteers) have a devotional time. On Sunday morning I was so blessed to hear Joni's thoughts on spiritual disciplines (as retold by Judy Siegle).

1. Cultivate the discipline of praying without ceasing, -- brief prayers. speak it out loud.

2. Sing hymns to self -- memorize songs

3. Memorize Scripture -- now focusing on Jesus' words

4. Devotionals -- A Quiet Place -- Nancy Leigh Demoss

5. Gives thanks -- Joni was interviewed in the book, choosing gratitude, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She was asked how she keeps such a positive attitude with the challenges that she daily faces. Joni said that she has learned to give thanks in all circumstances; it has become a reflex reaction.

I was very impacted by the 1st and 5th point. Wouldn't it be amazing to have your "reflex reaction" in a stressful situation be to give thanks and pray?! I pray that I would be able to develop the spiritual disciplines of giving thanks and praying continually and that God would use that to make me more like Christ. 


Another lesson I was reminded of at camp is that when we are faithful serving the least, God will bless us abundantly. 
One of my most exciting adventures at camp happened on Friday. I was playing my harp for one of the younger campers outside the dining hall, along with helping him play some glissandos on the harp. Then as I started to play Amazing Grace with him, Joni rolls around the corner and joins in singing. Then I am able to share the harp with her. She could play some glissandos on the harp! And then I held the harp in proper position for her and was able to help her hand play some strings. It was such a joyful moment to be able to share my love for music and praise with Joni. 
I had prayed before camp that I would have the opportunity to show Joni my harp. But God had so much greater plans! I am in such awe of the greatness of our God. He is faithful to do abundantly, overflowing, more than we can ask or even imagine!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these posts from your adventures at camp, Marie! What a blessing for you to get to meet Joni and be able to serve in this way. :) Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome how God worked it out for you to share your harp with Joni. Your love for those with disabilities, inspires me. You have a special gift.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: