January 26, 2013

1 Samuel

About a week ago I read the book of 1 Samuel. The Scripture focuses on the lives of Samuel, Saul and David in the books of Samuel. 1 Sam. 2:26 reminds me of the Luke 2:52 passage. I wonder if Samuel might be a type of Jesus. In 1 Sam. 3:13 the Lord rebukes Eli for the sin of failing to rebuke and train his sons. That is a warning to us to now be obedient to our fathers and then one day when we have children of our own to train them to obey the Lord. In 1 Sam. 7:12 I love reading about the "Ebenezer" meaning "thus far has the Lord helped us" God has shown Himself to be faithful in the past and He will continue to be faithful to His promises in the future. In 1 Sam. 15:22-23 the Lord makes clear that all sin is equally bad in His sight. Our proud, stubborn spirit is equated with the "big sins" of idolatry and witchcraft. It is thought provoking to read and realize how high God's standard is and how much we fall short of it. When Saul "repents" he is only concerned about the fear of man and looking good before his people. God desires us to be truly repentant and broken before Him when we sin against Him, the Holy and Righteous God. Remember the Lord looks at the heart and He sees our intentions and attitudes. This is such a good reminder for me. 1 Sam. 26:23 "the Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and faithfulness." I pray that I may be found faithful in following the law of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here: